- outer fabric
- lining fabric
1. Cut two outer fabrics and two linings. I made mine 8in x 8in x 8in x 10in. to make a trapezoid – but you can adjust the size as needed.
2. Sandwich your zipper (mine is 7in) between one of the outer and lining, right sides together, and sew using your zipper foot. The outer fabric should be on the top of the zipper.
3. Flip the fabrics back, press carefully (without melting your zipper!) and topstitch.
4. Now repeat with the other set of fabric.
5. Open the zipper (don’t skip this step!)
6. Lay the lining and outer fabrics right sides together. Carefully pin together. Sew along the edges, leaving an opening at the bottom of the lining.
7. Flatten the bottom of the lining and the outer fabrics. Sew across the corners and cut off the leftover triangle.
The bottom should look like this when you’re done.
8. Turn the pouch right side out, using the hole in the bottom of the lining. Then sew the lining shut. I like to hand sew this with a blind stitch, because I think it looks cleaner, but you can also straight stitch along the entire bottom seam with your machine.
Then rejoice in your beautiful standing zipper pouch!
Fill it with make up or hand sewing projects or throw it in your purse to hold all that random junk that doesn’t have a place.
Happy sewing, friends!