My absolute favorite thing to make for new babies is a pair of baby pants. Or three. I make my pants using this tutorial of mine, and now I’ve added a free newborn sized pattern to make it even easier for you!
- 1/4 yard of knit fabric
- 15 inches of 3/4in. non-roll elastic (you may need to adjust this length based on the size of your baby)
For the time being, the pattern will be available for download only in the If Only Designs Facebook Group. Click over and join the group to download!
1. Cut two of the newborn baby pants pattern – make sure to reverse one (hint: fold your fabric wrong sides together, put the pattern piece on top, and cut two pieces)
2. Fold the leg piece right sides together and sew down the inseam. Repeat with the second leg.
3. Put one leg inside the other, right sides together. Pin together and sew the crotch seam.
4. Turn right side out.
5. Sew the ends of your elastic together with a zig-zag stitch.
6. Fold the top of the pants down 1in. over the elastic circle. Pin the fabric in place. There are several options for making your waistband casing: use a coverstitch (my preferred method), double needle, or stretch stitch. Whichever you choose, make sure you don’t sew over your elastic. If you want to insert a ribbon/tag, now is the time to do it!
7. Turn up the bottom of the pants 1/2in. and hem using your preferred method (coverstitch, double needle, or stretch stitch).
Then admire your itty bitty newborn baby pants!
Seriously, what is cuter than a row of baby pants?
Well, maybe a baby in the pants! Since I don’t have any more bitty babies in my house, I sent these pants to my lovely friend Jodi at Sew Fearless for her sweeter than sweet baby boy. She shared this picture of him in the pants on her Instagram, and I just about died from the cuteness!
Sew all the baby pants!
Download your free newborn baby pants pattern by joining the If Only Designs Facebook Group.
Happy sewing, friends!