Here in Wisconsin, it is colder than COLD outside right now. So cold that all I can think about is wearing cozy sweaters and warm slippers with a hot drink in my hand. Preferably coffee. This peppermint mocha (or hot cocoa, for you non-coffee drinkers) recipe is perfect for snow days and holiday parties and having your girlfriends over. But to make it even better, I make this peppermint mocha recipe with homemade whipped cream! And I’m sharing both recipes with you today, so you can warm up this winter too.
- 2 Tablespoons Hot Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 cups milk
- 3-4oz. espresso
- Peppermint Essential Oil* or Peppermint Extract
*I feel confident ingesting oils from Young Living, because they are 100% therapeutic grade oils, containing no chemicals or solvents. Do not ingest low quality, perfume grade oils that you can buy at the health food store, etc.
2. Mix with 2 cups milk. Heat to desired temperature.
3. After the milk is heated, add two drops of peppermint essential oil. If you prefer to use peppermint extract, start with 1/8tsp and add more until you reach your desired flavor.
4. Add 3-4oz. of espresso or very strong coffee. If you don’t have an espresso machine, I recommend a Moka Pot to make espresso on your stove top.
5. Top with homemade whipped cream! Here’s your bonus (no refined sugar!) whipped cream recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 very generous Tbsp honey (I prefer to use raw honey!)
Serve these up without coffee for the kiddos after an afternoon sledding or make them fully caffed for your afternoon pick-me-up!
The homemade whipped cream and peppermint add a bit of decadence and make this mocha the most delicious mocha you’ve ever had!
Plus, you don’t have to leave your house to get it if the weather is icky… and it will cost you a lot less than the coffee shop too. ;)
You can drink it without the whipped cream for fewer calories, of course, but you’re seriously missing out if you don’t drink it with the whip at least once. Totally worth any extra calories. Then if you haven’t had enough peppermint, bake these Peppermint Dark Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars for an extra yummy treat!
*If you’re interested in learning more about Young Living oils or why they’re the company I recommend, please feel free to check out their essential oils here or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org