With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, your little ones probably have school parties and Valentines to exchange. This adorable Valentine mailbox that’s just what they need to collect their treats!
- Glimmer Felt (this is a stiffer felt, which helps the mailbox stand up, but if you have regular felt, that will still work!)
- Embroidery Floss
- Embroidery Needle
- Wool Felt
1. Cut two pieces out of the Glimmer Felt — the rectangle is 5x9in and the other is 11.75×4.75in with curved corners. *This mailbox is perfect for a smaller class size, but you can easily adjust the size of this mailbox if you want to make it bigger.
2. Place the curved piece glitter side down, then put the short end of the rectangle in the center of that curved piece.Using a blanket stitch, begin sewing the two pieces together.
3. Sew all along the first side, then fold the curved end of the bottom piece up to meet the top.
4. If you have Wonder Clips, use them to hold the top piece down while you continue to sew around the back (use binder clips in a pinch!)
5. At this point, trim around your curve if it doesn’t seem to perfectly match the top of the mailbox. Then sew around the back until you reach the corner. Stop at the corner.
6. Cut out a mailbox flag.
7. Sew a heart out of wool felt to embellish the flag.
8. Attach the flag to the side of the mailbox.
9. Finish sewing the along the bottom of the mailbox.
10. Attach a small piece of embroidery floss and a button to close the mailbox.
You could also use the wool felt to embellish the mailbox – the front would be a great place for another heart!
If you don’t have kiddos in school, this would make a great Valentine decoration around your house to leave little love notes for whoever lives in your house!
Such a great way to make Valentine’s Day a little bit cuter!
If you’re looking for some DIY Valentine ideas, check these out: